C-47 "Ride-Along"


"Airborne Experience"

We are now able to offer a new "ride-along" Airborne experience. Individuals will be allowed to go "Airborne" along with jump team members on a C47 flight.  Hear and feel what it's like to ride in a WWII vintage aircraft and watch the troops dressed in WWII uniforms and equipment "Stand Up & hook Up".

To learn more about this opportunity contact us at: operations_@_wwiiadt.org











Warren C Wilt

 Born:                             05 November 1922

Enlistment date:            12 January 1943         

Deployments:                Europe

Units:                             G/H Company, 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division; 513thParachute Infantry; 517thParachute Infantry; 541st Parachute Infantry; 713th Military Police Battalion

Rank:                            Private First Class

Specialisations:             Parachutist, Bazooka Man, Radio Operator

Qualifications:              Parachutist Wings, Combat Infantryman Badge

Decorations:                  Bronze Star, EAME Theater Medal with Bronze Arrowhead and 4 Bronze stars, Purple Heart, WWII Victory Medal, Distinguished Unit Citation

Discharge Date:            24 December 1945

 Other Information:        Warren joined the service in 1943 and participated in the D-Day Normandy Assault June 6, 1944 as a private in H Co, 508th. While standing and looking at some German positions, he was blasted by a German mortar round which impacted behind him, and he was wounded in the left leg, crotch and back, this happened on June 20th. He was consequently evacuated to England for treatment and because of the multiple wounds he received in Normandy, he was unable to participate in Operation Market-Garden, Holland on September 17th, 1944.

He arrived by truck, together with other “All American” Regiments, in the region of Werbomont, second half December, right after the German breakthrough,  He was now a Pfc in G Co, 508th PIR and where his specialties were Bazooka Gunner and Radio Operator . The 508th had remained in reserve until the evening of January 6th, when it received new orders to capture the Thier-du- Mont ridge (from which the Regiment had withdrawn on Christmas eve) . The 508th  troopers had to march thru snow-covered roads from Odrimont, Arbrefontaine, toward Menil and set up a CP northwest of the hill . Supply vehicles and 81mm mortar support were in position for the attack . G Co was to lead the assault followed by the rest of the Battalion . Jump-off came shortly after first light with the 319th Glider Flield Artillery Battalion laying down a barrage . They had to cross several hundred yards of open ground before being able to reach cover at the base of the hill. His Company pushed out across the open, when suddenly one of the scouts pointed at something, about 500 yards away was the well-camouflaged muzzle of a German 88mm gun (there were in fact three of them) . In a matter of seconds the first shell burst among our guys, and others followed fast. “That’s where I got injured (Jan 7, 1945), I received shrapnel in my left arm and shoulder, with fragments tearing into my private Missal tucked away in my left breast pocket of the M-43 jacket – it probably saved my life – and I still have it !” he later recalled.

During the attack, and although wounded, he raised himself, and fired a bazooka rocket at extreme range against one of the enemy guns, it detonated on its protective shield wounding the several and driving off the rest of the enemy crew . Meanwhile tanks were being called up and shot at, and additional artillery fire was requested. They realized that we were sitting ducks in the open, and their CO (Capt Russell C. WILDE) told them to move forward, and drive the enemy away … fierce fighting took place, and the 1st and 2d Battalions were called in to help capture the ridge . Recapturing the hill cost G Company 67 men …
“We were relieved by the 75th Inf Div January 10, 1945 and due to my injuries, I was medically evacuated to France first, then to England, and finally to the USA, where I was discharged December 24, 1945, just in time for Christmas !”