C-47 "Ride-Along"


"Airborne Experience"

We are now able to offer a new "ride-along" Airborne experience. Individuals will be allowed to go "Airborne" along with jump team members on a C47 flight.  Hear and feel what it's like to ride in a WWII vintage aircraft and watch the troops dressed in WWII uniforms and equipment "Stand Up & hook Up".

To learn more about this opportunity contact us at: operations_@_wwiiadt.org











Daryle E Whitfield

 Born:                             22 April 1922             

Enlistment date:            15 Nov 1942   Camp Shelby, Mississippi

Deployments:                Europe

Units:                             E Company, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment 101st Airborne Division, F Company, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division



Qualifications:              Combat Infantryman Badge. Parachutists Wings

Decorations:                  Presidential Unit Citation, EAME Campaign Medal with 4 Bronze Stars and 2 Bronze Arrowheads, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster.

Discharge Date:           

 Other Information:   Daryle entered the Army in November 1942 right out of High School and undertook basic with the 501st Parachute Infantry at Toccoa, GA. After basic he moved to Fort Benning for Jump School with E Company which was completed in April 1943. At this time many cadre of the 501st were transferred to make up other units and Daryle found himself in the 82nd Airborne’s 505th Parachute Infantry. At camp Shanks, New York, the 82nd prepared for overseas deployment and Daryle boarded the USS George Washington headed for North Africa.  He landed at Casablanca on May 10th 1943 and he began his long voyage to Germany. He was with the 505th when they jumped behind the lines of the 36th Division and then marched to Naples. They spent about two weeks in Naples, then headed for Arnone, Italy, where Daryle was injured. From there, he spent 2-3 months in Oran, North Africa at the 43rd General Hospital. From there it was back to England, then the jump on D-Day (45-48 days on the ground). Then, back to England, and off to Holland. He eventually ended up in Blakade, Germany at the Elbe River. It was here that he found out the war was over. He was not injured in Normandy but remembers staring down a German 88 and trying his best into meld with the ground.