C-47 "Ride-Along"


"Airborne Experience"

We are now able to offer a new "ride-along" Airborne experience. Individuals will be allowed to go "Airborne" along with jump team members on a C47 flight.  Hear and feel what it's like to ride in a WWII vintage aircraft and watch the troops dressed in WWII uniforms and equipment "Stand Up & hook Up".

To learn more about this opportunity contact us at: operations_@_wwiiadt.org











Jack W Schlegel

 Born:                             14 November 1923   

Enlistment date:            30 November 1942     New York

Deployments:                Europe

Units:                             HQ/3rd Battalion , 508th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne Division

Rank:                            Sergeant

Specialisations:             Parachutist, Machine Gunner

Qualifications:              Combat Infantryman Badge, Parachute Wings

Decorations:                  EMEA Campaign Medal, Purple Heart with Oak Leaf Cluster, WWII Victory Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, French Fourrager, Belgian Fourragere

Discharge Date:            December 1945

Other Information:        Jack was wounded and taken prisoner on D-Day June 6th 1944 and was transported to a French chateau where there was held a further 200 or so prisoners. The next day, he was loaded onto a truck with other prisoners and headed towards St Lo in the canvas covered truck. On the journey, the trucks were strafed by allied aircraft and set on fire. In the chaos of the attack, Jack and another prisoner were able to escape but he was soon recaptured and then forced to walk to St Lo. Wounded, Jack was taken to Hospital for treatment to his wounds and remained there as an interpreter as he spoke German and he wanted to make sure that the other medical prisoners received the best treatment possible.

 On June 27th Jack learned that the prisoners were to be moved the next day to Rennes and so he decided to try and make another escape, but was immediately recaptured. The next day he walked for 48 kilometers before being taken to Rennes by truck where he remained in a prison camp hospital helping to translate. Towards the end of  July 1944 Jack heard that the men were about to be moved again as the allies were headed towards their camp. As the Germans evacuated, Jack pleaded with his captors to let him remain behind, which he eventually persuaded them to do. On August 4th he met the advancing 4th Armored Division as they entered Rennes.

Jack returned to his unit and eventually participated in the Battle of the Bulge, before entering Germany with the 508th.