C-47 "Ride-Along"


"Airborne Experience"

We are now able to offer a new "ride-along" Airborne experience. Individuals will be allowed to go "Airborne" along with jump team members on a C47 flight.  Hear and feel what it's like to ride in a WWII vintage aircraft and watch the troops dressed in WWII uniforms and equipment "Stand Up & hook Up".

To learn more about this opportunity contact us at: operations_@_wwiiadt.org










Norwood W Thomas

 Born:                            13 October 1922

Enlistment date:            16 March 1942            Durham, North Carolina

Deployments:                Europe

Units:                             82nd Infantry Division, Artillery Headquarters, 101st Airborne Division

Rank:                            Master Sergeant

Specialisations:             Rifleman, Radio Operator, Parachutist

Qualifications:              Combat Infantryman Badge, Parachute Wings

Decorations:                  Bronze Star, American Campaign Medal, EAME Campaign Medal with 2 Bronze Arrowhead, WWII Victory Medal, Purple Heart, Army Commendation Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, Presidential Unit Citation, Croix De Guerre, Belgian Fourragere, Netherlands Orange Lanyard

Discharge Date:            28 November 1945

 Other Information:        Norwood, like many, grew up in hard times in a family with four siblings during the depression years. He worked as a mechanic when, aged nineteen, he joined the army. Though he hoped to continue his mechanics and work with airplanes, the military had other ideas and he was assigned to the 82nd Infantry Division at Camp Claiborne, Louisiana.  After completing training, the 82nd Infantry Division was split into two on 15 August 1942 and out of this developed the first airborne units with the two becoming the 82nd Airborne and the 101st Airborne Divisions. Norwood found himself in the 101st.

 From Claiborne, Norwood was sent to Fort Benning, Georgia for Jump School in September 1942 and after graduation, he transferred to Fort Bragg, North Carolina in October 1942 to continue his training that lasted through until September 1943. From here, Norwood travelled on board the HMS Strathnaver, headed for England and the European Theater of Operations and a further period of training in preparation for the upcoming invasion of Fortress Europe. Early on the morning of June 6th 1944, Norwood parachuted into Normandy at 01:23hrs, some four miles behind Utah Beach.

 On September 17th 1944, Norwood was again back in action, this time on Operation Market-Garden, and this time strapped to the seat of a Waco CG-4A Glider and from here, he followed his unit through Bastogne into Germany and Austria.  Norwood ended the war near Berchtesgaden close to Hitlerís Eagleís Nest. Based upon his points, Norwood was able to go home in November 1945 and once more returned to civilian life, but some fifteen years later, he was once again back in the military after re-enlisting in 1959.

Norwood finally retired from active duty in 1975 but even now he maintains an active role by helping the Disable American Veterans.