C-47 "Ride-Along"


"Airborne Experience"

We are now able to offer a new "ride-along" Airborne experience. Individuals will be allowed to go "Airborne" along with jump team members on a C47 flight.  Hear and feel what it's like to ride in a WWII vintage aircraft and watch the troops dressed in WWII uniforms and equipment "Stand Up & hook Up".

To learn more about this opportunity contact us at: operations_@_wwiiadt.org











Harry Nivens – Emmit Nix – Glen Moe

 Harry C Nivens

 Born:                             30 September 1921

Enlistment date:            28 January 1942          Charlotte, North Carolina

Deployments:                Europe

Units:                             I Company, 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne Division

Rank:                            Private

Specialisations:             Parachutist

Qualifications:              Combat Infantryman Badge, Parachute Wings

Decorations:                  Bronze Star, EAME Campaign Medal, Purple Heart, Presidential Unit Citation, Croix de Guerre with Palm

Discharge Date:            February 1945

Other Information:        Harry enlisted in January 1942 and completed his basic training at Camp Wheeler, Georgia before entering Jump Training in May 1942 and graduating from Jump School in June where he received his jump wings from General William Miley. He was then assigned to I Company, 3rd Battalion of the 502nd PIR and then moved to Fort Bragg where he participated in large scale training manoeuvres before being shipped to England in September 1943.

 The 502nd continued their training in England in preparation for their D-Day operation on June 6th 1944 where Harry jumped into drop zone A on a mission to destroy enemy forces defending the areas around the landing beaches at Utah Beach and secure the causeway exit three from the beachhead.  From there, Harry went on to liberate the town of Houesville, France followed by Carentan. While attacking Carentan, Harry’s best friend and Best Man at his wedding, Emmet Nix was killed and later that same day, the unit suffered several casualties when German aircraft strafed and bombed their positions.  The next day, the 502nd continued their attack and this is when the famous bayonet charge led by Colonel Cole took place.  Later that same day, at around 3.00pm, Harry was wounded by machine gun fire and with such intense fighting going on around him, could not be medically evacuated until 7.00pm that evening. Harry was transferred from the Utah Beach to a medical ship and eventually back to the USA for further treatment.  Harry remained in hospital until February 1945 when he was medically discharged from the army as a result of his wounds.