C-47 "Ride-Along"


"Airborne Experience"

We are now able to offer a new "ride-along" Airborne experience. Individuals will be allowed to go "Airborne" along with jump team members on a C47 flight.  Hear and feel what it's like to ride in a WWII vintage aircraft and watch the troops dressed in WWII uniforms and equipment "Stand Up & hook Up".

To learn more about this opportunity contact us at: operations_@_wwiiadt.org












Thomas L Glass

 Born:                             10 October 1925                    

Enlistment date:            04 November 1942                 Anadarko, OK

Deployments:                Europe

Units:                             B Company, 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 82nd Airborne.

Rank:                            Private First Class

Specialisations:             Marksman

Qualifications:              Combat Infantryman Badge, Parachutist Wings

Decorations:                  Bronze Star, Presidential Unit Citation,  Europe, Africa, Middle East Campaign Medal, Purple Heart, WWII Victory Medal, Army Good Conduct Medal, Belgian Fouragere

Discharge Date:            6 February 1946

 Other Information:      Thomas entered service in Anadarko, Oklahoma and was sent to Fort Sill and then Camp Hood, Texas for basic training. After spending time at Fort Meade, Maryland and Orange, New Jersey he sailed to the UK aboard the Queen Mary arriving in Glasgow on June 6th 1944. He was then sent to a replacement camp in Southern England and while there, he volunteered for Paratrooper Training.

 After completing his parachute training, Thomas was shipped to St Lo and from their by train to Rheims to join his new unit, arriving there on December 16th 1944 to find that the 82nd Airborne had already left to go to Werbomont, Belgium to seal of the Bulge in the US lines. On December 17th 1944, Thomas and other replacements travelled by truck for the long overnight drive to the front line, where he joined the 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment.

 In the early hours of January 3rd 1945, Thomas and the 505th PIR were give orders to counterattack what was later to become known as Dead Manís Ridge and no sooner did the advance begin when Thomas was hit by a mortar shell and severely wounded and transferred by medics by jeep to a field hospital and from there to the various other hospitals in France and then England, before being shipped back to the States. Thus began a long period of 14 months recuperation in Santa Barbara, California and then Borden Hospital Chickasha, Oklahoma before he was honourably discharged in 1946.